Bonnie Doon is a small township situated on the Maroondah Highway just 21 km west of Mansfield.
The explorers Hume and Hovell first passed through the area in 1824 and it was first settled in 1834. The township was established in the 1860’s and named ‘Doon’ after the town of that name in Ireland. A post office was opened in October 1866 and the town was renamed ‘Bonnie Doon’ in 1891. Discovery of gold in the area saw the township grow and from this growth a strong farming community emerged.
With the construction of Lake Eildon in the 1950s, much of the original town was flooded and needed to be relocated, although some buildings were able to remain where they were.
Today, Bonnie Doon draws tourist on the lookout for the water activities of Lake Eildon and along with neighboring Mansfield, the township also serves as the doorway to the Victorian High Country. A lot of locals in the surrounding region, use Bonnie Doon as a weekend destination with its countless activities such as bush walking, fishing, horse riding, trail biking, and off-road 4WD. Many motor cycle and car clubs use Bonnie Doon as a base for their weekend rallies around Lake Eildon and the King Valley.